Sunday, September 4, 2011

Veggie Lo Mein (with Eggs)


So I was in the mood for Chinese fake-out the other night, and this is what I came up with: lo mein, firecracker shrimp, and caramelized pork belly. It was delicious, and cost me hardly anything at all.

The lo mein was super easy to throw together. I credit most of the flavor to the grated ginger and minced garlic, and a good splash of toasted sesame oil. I consider sesame oil a staple of Asian cooking, or at least Asian cooking that is done in my kitchen. But a few days ago, my boyfriend confessed to me that he doesn't care for sesame oil. I felt my heart break a bit because I love sesame oil, I really do. I promised him to cut back on the sesame oil, but hell, I probably won't and just claim that I tried.


Anyway, this is such a versatile recipe. Instead of carrots and bell pepper, you could do snow peas, bean sprouts, or baby corn. And of course, you could throw in shrimp or pork instead of eggs. Or hell, throw all of the above in and simply enjoy.

So upon inspection of the ingredients list, you may notice that salt and pepper is nowhere to be found. And I admit it's weird. This may also be the only savory dish I've ever made without adding salt or pepper. But trust me, the soy sauce and chili sauce adds plenty of flavor.

Ingredients for 2:
  • 4 ounces dried thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
  • 2 medium carrots, shredded
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 4 stalks green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3-inch knob of ginger, grated
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • splash sesame oil
  • 1/2 - 2 tablespoons chili sauce 
  • 2 eggs, scrambled
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
In a wok, on medium-high heat melt the butter. Add the eggs and scramble. Add the eggs to the drained pasta and set aside.

Wipe the wok clean and add the oil. Heat on medium-high heat. Before it starts to smoke, add the carrots, bell pepper, and green onions. Cook for a few minutes then add the ginger and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes and then add the pasta and eggs. Add soy sauce, sesame oil, and as much chili sauce as you would like. Mix well and serve immediately. 

Throw some fresh cilantro leaves on top for an extra kick of freshness and flavor! 

No comments:

Post a Comment