Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake


I admit that I am probably the only  person that doesn't love cheesecake. It's just never been my thang. But hell, I can still make a damn good strawberry swirl cheesecake. 

I am a definite cake and frosting gal, specifically red velvet and cream cheese frosting. Everyone else in my life however, are cheesecake people. Now I've got nothing against cheesecake. I know that cheesecake is good, but it's simply too rich, too decadent, too much for me. I can appreciate it, but I definitely cannot have a slice of it.

I've made cheesecake cupcakes before, but I've never made a whole cheesecake. I scoured the internet looking for the right recipe, and I knew I found it when I read the phrase "condensed milk." My favorite phrase, ever. I have fond childhood memories of sitting on my momma's couch with a can of condensed milk and a loaf of French bread. I wonder if there's a direct correlation to my development of high blood pressure at the age of 17.

But anyway, I digress.

This All Recipes find also has over 200 reviews, and I always find that promising. The directions are easy with no water-bath involved, and the texture is super, super smooth and creamy. No cracks! 

Ingredients for 1 9-inch springform cake pan:
  • 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1 package frozen, sweetened strawberries, thawed
  • 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese
  • 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
In a springform pan, combine the graham crackers, sugar, and butter. Press the mixture into the pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.


In a food processor, combine strawberries and cornstarch. Pulse until smooth and transfer a saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool. 

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in condensed milk. Yum. Add lemon juice and eggs, and beat on low speed. Do not overbeat! 

Pour half of the cream cheese mixture into the pan. Drop half of the strawberry sauce by half teaspoonfuls. Add the remaining cream cheese mixture, and then dot the top with the remaining strawberry sauce. Use a knife to swirl the dots. 


Bake for 45 minutes until center is almost set. Allow to cool on a rack for 10 minutes before running a sharp knife around the edge. Allow to cool for another hour before transferring to the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Best if chilled overnight. 



No comments:

Post a Comment