Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mini Hamburger Buns


I finally did it... I made hamburger buns! They ended up absolutely perfect. The process, however, was a bit hectic and  frustrating to be honest. BUT, I powered through and was rewarded with fresh, hot delicious mini hamburger buns.


I know, I know, they look like regular ole rolls, but they're not. The buns are hearty but still moist, and they can definitely handle a burger patty. If I had followed the original recipe, from the New York Times, then they would have come out looking more hamburger-like, but I just didn't want to spare another egg or buy sesame seeds for topping them.

I tweaked the recipe a bit because I did have some trouble with the buns over-rising, as did Annie's Eats. We both found the second rise to be almost disastrous, but we just reshaped the dough. I let them rise for another 20 minutes after that and baked them. They came out great. Below are directions for what I would do next time.

I used 4 buns the night I made them and froze the remaining ones. Hopefully they'll be almost as good as new when I pop 'em back in the oven for next week's meatball sliders. 

Ingredients for 16 buns
  • 3 tablespoons warm milk
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoon yeast
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
Using the paddle attachment, combine the milk, yeast, sugar, salt, and egg in a stand mixer bowl.. Add the bread flour and most of the all-purpose flour and mix until combined. Add the butter and switch to a dough hook.

Knead on low for 6 minutes. The dough will be especially tacky. Power through! Use the remaining flour to dust your hands to form the dough in a ball and transfer to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 2 hours.

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. With lightly floured hands, form 16 equal pieces into perfect balls, each should be a bit bigger than a golf ball. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for another hour.

Check periodically before they take over the baking pan! And if they do, just reshape them! 

Set a large metal rimmed baking pan on the lowest rack of the oven. Pour water into the baking pan, it doesn't need to be entirely full. And believe me, it's easier than just putting a baking pan full of water into the oven.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with a rack in the center.

Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the buns at 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack until completely cooled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment