Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pizza Dough


Pizza dough is a weekly go-to in my house. My boyfriend and I just cannot say no to homemade pizzas, pizza bites, or calzones. But really, could you? The dough is cheap and easy to make and it's such a convenience to find a hunk of frozen ball of pizza dough.

I found this very versatile recipe on Annie's Eats. This dough can be stretched out super, super thin for a crispy crust or lightly rolled out for that hearty, chewy bite . I prefer super thin for my pizzas and chewy for my calzones, naturally. 

Pizza is always fun to make because you really can just throw whatever you want together, bake it, and very likely enjoy it. My favoritest favorite pizza is Margherita with fresh mozzarella, Roma tomatoes, lots of garlic, and basil. I know it's not a creative mash-up, but it's so darn refreshing. Yum. I could probably have it every day.

I really do just love this recipe, I can't imagine my weekly dinners without it. It makes my life easier.

Ingredients for  8 small calzones, 4 medium pizzas (depending on how thin you roll it out), or 2 batches of pizza bites 

  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2  1/4 teaspoon dry active yeast
  • 4 cups bread flour
  • 1  1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1  1/4 water, room temperature
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
In a liquid measure cup, add the warm water and yeast. Set aside.

In the bowl of stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the flour and salt. 

Add the remaining water into the measure cup. Pour the yeast-water and olive into the bowl on low speed. Mix until just combined and switch to a dough hook. Knead for about 5 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. 

Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with saran wrap and allow to rise for 2 hours. 

Press down the dough and divide into 4 equal pieces, using lightly floured hands. Roll each piece into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap and then a freezer bag. Freeze immediately. Thaw in the refrigerator the night before use. Allow to sit at room  temperature for 10 minutes before rolling out.

If using immediately, cover with a damp cloth and allow dough to relax for 10 minutes before rolling out.

How to bake
Preheat the oven (and pizza stone, but that's optional) to 450 degrees. Roll the dough out to desired thickness, brush the edge with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt. Top as desired and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

I don't have a pizza stone, so for that extra crispy crust I...
Roll out the dough super thin, but try not to tear the dough. Bake the crust by itself for 14 minutes until brown and crispy. Allow to cool down before adding toppings and baking for a second time for 10  minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment