Sunday, November 13, 2011

Broccoli-Cheese Soup


I love soups, any and all soups. I especially like making soup on a cold night, but here in Austin, I'll just have to settle for a delicious bowl of soup, sans the cool weather.

This recipe comes from the Pioneer Woman, and I tweaked it ever so slightly. This soup is rich and creamy and flavorful. Yum.

I used Monterrey jack and cheddar cheese and no broth, but you of course, could use whatever you have on hand. The soup is very thick, just the way I like my broccoli-cheese soup, but if you want to thin it out, I suggest some chicken broth, which you'll definitely need to you want to reheat it the next day.

Little bread bowls accompanied the soup, but that recipe needs some tweaking before it finds its way here.

Ingredients for 2, plus leftovers for 1
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
  • 1 cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese
  • 1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
  • Few shakes of cayenne
  • Salt and pepper
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 4 minutes. 

Sprinkle the flour over the onions. Stir cook for another minute. 

Pour in the liquids, broccoli, and seasonings. Combine, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in cheeses and allow to melt.

Puree the soup using an immersion blender, blender, or food processor. Taste for seasonings again and serve. Top with more cheese if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment