Thursday, December 29, 2011

Creamy Tomato-Basil Soup with Grilled Cheese

This soup is not only delicious and comforting, but it's also magical. This soup can bring immediate happiness. I like that in a soup.

I was introduced to this recipe by a former roommate on a cold, rainy day. She called her mom while wandering the grocery store aisles looking for the ingredients. I'm not sure where her mother got the recipe from, but it first originated at the restaurant La Madeleine. And I am thankful for it. And this is why...

This soup makes me smile.
This soup warms my entire body.
This soup gives me a chance to eat two grilled cheese sandwiches.
This soup makes me forget every bad incident that's happen that day.

Every time I make this soup, I ask myself why I haven't made it more often. I have no excuses. Although it being 3-digit degree weather for a quarter of the year here in Austin may have something to do with it. But now that it's cold, I can look forward to this yummy soup more often. And believe me, it's oh-so-yummy. 

I've tweaked it just a bit though. Sorry La Madeleine, but I think my version is better. 


Ingredients for 4 bowls
Soup
  • 1 28-ounce can of whole tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 12 fresh basil leaves
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • Garlic powder
  • Salt and pepper
Sandwiches
  • 4 slices of whole wheat bread
  • 2 slices provolone
  • 2 slices mozzarella
  • Butter, for cooking
In a medium pot, combine the whole can of tomatoes, tomato juice, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30  minutes. 

Allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Add basil leaves and puree using an immersion blender. Or transfer in batches to a food processor or blender.

Add butter and heavy cream. Season to taste and bring to simmer.

While it's simmering, prepare the grilled cheeses!

Serve immediately and enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment