Saturday, August 13, 2011

Baked Macaroni and Cheese


This is by no means healthy. However I promise you, no one will complain about the taste. So just forget about the former and just focus on the latter. 

Before I continue, I must take notice of the last time I posted, which was too long ago, and I truly do apologize. I have no excuses, but I do have a picture of my puppy dressed as Shakespeare.


Moving on.

This dish absolutely hit the spot for me. I started dinner around 5:40 p.m., and by 6:30 p.m., I was sitting at the dinner table. I paired the cheesy richness with some garlic-sauteed carrots and broccoli, and it made for a perfect Wednesday night dinner.

Ingredients for a round casserole dish
  • 8 ounces macaroni pasta, cooked and drained and set aside in a large bowl
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • Garlic salt
  • Cayenne
  • Dry mustard
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter. Add in flour and stir for a few minutes. 

Whisk in the milk in a steady, slow stream. Add all the cheeses and seasonings. I added a few shakes of each spice. 

Lower the heat and stir occasionally for 5 to 7 minutes until sauce is thickened a bit. This sauce will be runny. Do not fear. It will thicken in the oven. 

Pour the sauce into the bowl with the macaroni. Mix until each macaroni is covered. Pour into a round casserole dish and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and sprinkle breadcrumbs on top. Then bake for another 20 minutes.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes before digging in. Or not and just burn your tongue on hot, gooey cheese pasta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment