Saturday, February 4, 2012

Soft Bread Bowls


Heavenly soft texture. Lightly crisp crust. Subtle sweetness. Perfect soup companion.

Need I say more?

I've made a couple of bread bowls in the past and they were eh, but these bowls, these deliciously soft and tasty guys are hands down the best bread bowls I've ever eaten.

They could easily be turned into dinner rolls too. I'm particularly happy about that since it's probably the end of soup season in Austin already. Hot soup in humid 75-degrees weather? That's just bunk.

I found this recipe on Pinterest, which at this point I can only consider the other man because I find myself shamelessly scanning page after page of potentially likable Pinterest pins very single night. Seriously.


Moving on.

This recipe is originally from Jamie Cooks It Up! Her recipe yields 6 bread bowls, but I didn't think I would be satisfied with the size, so I only made 2 out of the dough. But hey, do whatever you think you'll be happy with. One tiny bread bowl was not gonna cut it for my boyfriend and I.


Ingredients for 2 
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon yeast
  • 1 egg, beaten
Using a stand-mixer, add 2 cups of flour, the sugar, and the salt to the bowl. Mix together.

Heat the milk and water until just bubbly. Remove from heat and add the butter and allow to melt.

Pour the hot liquid into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Beat on low speed for 30 second and then add yeast and remaining flour. 

Mix until just combined and then knead for 3 minutes.

Preheat oven to 170 degrees. 

Transfer to a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Cut in half and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Shape each half into a ball. Brush the egg on the tops of the dough. 

Put into the oven and allow to rise for 30 minutes.

Turn the heat up to 350 degrees and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting the tops off.

Turn these into dinner rolls but dividing the dough into 6 or 8 pieces, shaping into balls, and baking for 10 minutes, or until golden. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment