Saturday, November 26, 2011

Yellow Chicken Curry


Curry can only be considered delicious if it meets my three standards. First and foremost, it must have a well-spiced, flavorful broth filled with tender meat and delicate potatoes that soak up all that yumminess.


I consider this curry absolutely delicious.

So my boyfriend and I are on super duper budget right now. He, a line-cook for a trendy downtown Austin restaurant, and I, a preschool teacher for the most beautiful children in central Austin, have big plans for our future. 


Such plans include: a new truck, starting my own cupcakery, finding a house with a fenced-in yard for our precious puppies, going back to school, a summer trip to Oregon with our old college friends, and well, never having to see a balance of less than $25 in my checking account.


With that said, budget-friendly meals always means soup to me. Something slow-cooked and broth-y and hearty and just, comforting. And for me, that means chicken curry. I love curry.


I love making it, I love smelling it, and I love dipping fresh French bread into it. I just, love it. I also love that I can increase the servings by just a few bucks if I ever need to feed a whole army.


I like to use whole chicken legs, but of course you could use chicken thighs and cut them into small chunks. Or for you vegetarians, just forget the chicken altogether.


I must warn you though, this is a spicy curry. I add some coconut milk, but if you want a more mild flavor, use  more coconut milk or add a few dollops of yogurt lessen the heat.


I like to serve curry with a fresh loaf of French bread, but my boyfriend usually opts for a bowl of steamed jasmine rice. And for leftovers, I take out all the meat and puree the potatoes and carrots with the broth. Add a splash of heavy cream and top with croutons. And like magic, you've got yourself another hearty bowl of soup. 


Don't you just love this recipe, already?


Servings for 2
  • 1/4 cup Madras curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 chicken legs, skin on
  • 1 small white onion, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
  • 3 large carrot, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 6-8 cups chicken broth
  • 3 dried bay leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup Yellow curry paste
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (more if desired)
  • yogurt (optional)
  • Vegetable oil

In a small bowl, combine the curry powder, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and pepper. Mix well.

In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the curry mix and the chicken. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Bring to room temperature 10 minutes before browning.

In a large pot over medium-high heat, add some oil and brown the chicken for 2 minutes on each side. Remove and place into a large bowl. Then lower the heat to medium and add the onions. Cook until fragrant, then transfer to the same bowl with the chicken.

Add more oil to the pan and increase heat back up to medium-high heat. Add all the chopped vegetables and the rest of the curry powder mix. Brown the vegetables for 6 to 8 minutes. 

Add bowl of chicken and onions back to the pot. Add enough stock to cover everything in the pot. Then add bay leaves and sugar. Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a light simmer and cover loosely with a lid. You want some steam to escape. 

Stir every 30 minutes, for 3 hours. At the 2-hour-mark, add coconut milk and yogurt if desired.

In the last 30 minutes, taste for extra seasoning. Prepare rice and/or toast French bread to accompany the oh-so-hot and delicious meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment