Saturday, October 29, 2011

(Vegan) Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream


But before we get to these tasty little guys.

Hi Blog, remember me? I'm your creator, and I have neglected you for over a month now. My deepest apologies, really. Really really. I blame these guys. 


And myself too, I guess. But more them then me, I promise. 

So I've been baking like a mad woman for the past month. A good friend of mine is getting married this Saturday, and I am baking her four flavors of vegan cupcakes, one of which is also gluten-free. I'm still tweaking that one, and I only have a week left! AHHHH! 

Anyway. 

Today's post is about these ever-so-traditional vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting. There's just something so comforting about this flavor combo. It may not be your favorite, but every once in awhile you do just crave it. And here it is, in all it's vegan glory.

Ingredients for 18 standard cupcakes or about 36 mini cupcakes
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1  1/2 cups almond milk
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup peanut oil
  • 1  1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Frosting
  • 1/4 cup vegan butter, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2-3 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1-2 tablespoons almond milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes to curdle like a buttermilk.

In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.

Add the oil and the vinegar to the "buttermilk." Then fold into the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.

Transfer the batter to lined muffin pans. For standard cupcakes, bake for 16 minutes. For mini cupcakes, bake for 10 minutes.

Allow to cool completely. 

Frosting: 
In a stand mixer, whip the vegan butter until light and fluffy. Add the cocoa powder on low speed. Then gradually add the 2 cups of sugar. Add the vanilla and some milk. Then whisk on high speed. Add more sugar  or milk on low speed in order to reach desired consistency.

Frost and serve immediately. 

Vegan desserts tend to dry out quickly. I suggest keeping them for no more than three days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment